Berkey PF-2™ reduction elements are designed for use in conjunction with Black Berkey™ water purification elements to adsorb the following unwanted elements found in drinking water.
• Arsenic V and pre-oxidized Arsenic III
• Other residual heavy metal ions
FLUORIDE: Testing for fluoride was based on 20-30ppm of the ion in the influent aqueous solution at a flow rate of no more than 3 gpm (11 lpm) per cubic foot of media. Results of < 1ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent were typical for the media (>95% reduction). Under optimum conditions, effluent concentrations of less than 50 ppb were readily achieved (>99.75% reduction).
ARSENIC: This product uniquely targets the entire family of arsenic oxide anions as well as the arsenic cations.
Under normal conditions it is recommended that each set of two Berkey PF-2™ elements be replaced after 1,000 gallons (3,785 liters). The Royal Berkey™ system is about 3.25 gallons (12.3 liters) therefore the Berkey PF-2™ filters should be replaced after 1,000/3.25 (3,785/12.3) or 307 refills. If the system is refilled about one time per day, the Berkey PF-2™’s should be replaced after 10 months, if the system is refilled about twice per day, the Berkey PF-2™’s should be replaced about every five months). Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
1) Do not boil this element.
2) Berkey PF-2™ elements reduce filtration flow rate by 15-20%.
3) The lower reservoir in most gravity purification systems has a two to three gallon capacity and a typical household uses about one refill per day. We recommend that the upper reservoir be filled at night. The water from the upper reservoir should be purified by morning. Households requiring more water can speed up the flow rate by drawing off the purified water into a water pitcher or other container when the water level in the lower reservoir rises above the bottom of the Berkey PF-2™ elements.